Saturday, January 24, 2009

My New Night Life

Well I just finished my 4th night shift at the hospital (7pm to 7:30am) . My job is as a Nursing Care Partner so I assist the RN with patient vital signs, blood draws and labs, patient care, pottying. The patients I care for are a mixture of stroke, and step down medical people. Many are at the end of life, some are detoxing off alcohol, some don't have their right mind. Like Forrest Gump would say... "you never know what your goin to get". It had been a long time since I had worked on the hospital floor, so it was a bit of an adjustment getting comfortable being around sicky people again. I remember feeling that way when I started cardiac rehab for open heart patients back in 2000 at St. Joseph's Baptist in Tampa. I think I cried the first two days b/c I didn't like to see people in such bad shape. But it definately is an opportunity to serve people. I have the "nice" gift; I can be sweet and some of the agitated patients will let me take tests that they wouldn't for other nurses :) That was a compliment.

It is a long shift, but manageable so far. Just reminding myself that it is only 6 months, then I start nursing school. I can do anything for that long, right? Who knows, maybe I'll be a night nurse when I graduate b/c I like it so much haha. I guess having sleepless babies kind of prepared me since I already felt like I had been up all night for the past 3 years. So a thank you goes out to Luke Crosby- for breaking me in for the night shift.

I'll post a picture of me in my scrubs... ok dad?? :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lesli, Your patients are very lucky to have you caring for them, I'm not surprised that you have the "nice gift" It's something that you have had your whole life. you're one of the good ones. love daddy

Anonymous said...

lesli - am so proud that you're still hanging in there... Even after those first two nights:) May you be a blessing to those you are taking care of! love you always -mom

Leslie said...

My dad passed away a year ago last November of cancer, so we have had our fair share of nurse encounters. You are in an awesome position to make a huge impact on peoples lives - and the cool thing about it is, you already realize that! Hang in there sister! Also, I added you to my side bar - hope it's okay, let me know if it's not =)

Christina said...

Love you sis and am sooooo proud of you! Change is hard sometimes.When this is all said and done you will have accomplished something great for yourself and your family, and along the way had an impact on so many lives! You rock!

Kimberly said...

I think what you are doing is amazing. After having two babies and seeing family in the hospital, I can tell you that nurses make all the difference. Doctors are in and out but the nurses, they are there when you need them. Your patients are very blessed!

Unknown said...

Les, I know first hand of your "nice gift" as I actually got to see it on a daily basis at work every day. You are going to be the best thing that floor has ever seen...and I am sure they probably already know that. Love you girl...let me know if you need a nap. The babes are always welcome here!