Saturday, December 6, 2008

Organic Baby Food

So with some encouragement from my sister Christina... I have dove into making Sophia organic baby foods. And it really is doable! Here is my process:


1. Peel your fruit or vegetable... I am starting with pears, bananas, and sweet potatoes. You only need 2 or 3 depending on size to make quite a bit.



2. Cut up the fruit or veggie into smaller pieces and put in your steamer:

3. Steam for 11 minutes or so
4. Put the steamed stuff in my Magic Bullet (or food processor- I just don't have one). Now before blending you can add a half ounce of breastmilk, formula milk, or a little flax oil Mckmama style.
5. Pour into ice cube trays.

6. Pop out the cubes and put into freezer bags for storage. Just thaw what you need to feed your baby!


It is fresh and organic and so good for baby. I had been buying the organic gerber, but the shelf life on that stuff can be ten months old! And quite expensive. Do you all do this too??

I can't believe it, but I also ordered an all in one diaper from Three Monkeys on ebay. They are similar to Bum Genious which everyone seems to say is the best one; but 1/2 the price. And lots of cute fabrics too. We will see how it works.

5 comments:

Billie said...

Williams Sonoma has a really fabulous baby food maker. You would have to have another garage sale though 'cause the thing is 150 bucks. I am savin. love you. I used the magic bullet for Celia and Jordan too. love it!

truin

Christina said...

Sis-
I'm so glad you're doing it! It's so easy and good for her--and so much cheaper!!! Love you and "Pia"

Kimberly said...

I'd love to hear what you think of the diapers. I've debated about doing cloth but never committed. I also love the idea of making your own baby food. I'll have to do that one day.

Unknown said...

yeah. i wish my name was mary catherine gallagher.... she's my favorite... i am mary catherine gallagher every halloween... hahaha i could use a blog buddy, so thanks!

Sal said...

Hey girl, well...look at you! Making your own baby food these days. Amy has inspired me to do the same. It's such a great idea. I miss you girly, stop over and see me. (And tell Billie where can she put that garage sale idea.)