Monday, March 31, 2008

Now I'm the Patient


So I failed my glucose tolerance test last week... which means that I (gulp) have gestational diabetes. Which has sent me through a variety of feelings. Majoring and working in the preventative health field I actually taught classes on diabetes-- but always prided myself on being the picture of health since I have always lived an active lifestyle, ate healthy for the most part, and stayed at a good weight and fitness level. Now I have had hypoglycemia since my high school years-- if I didn't eat, my blood sugar would drop really low and I would feel bad. Don't know if that means my body doesn't process glucose well or what- but here I am 30 weeks pregnant with bad blood sugar.

So I have started counting my carbs, and balancing my meals even better. No sweets or high carb stuff. Keeping a log of everything, doing my exercise, and getting a glucometer today to make sure what I'm doing is working.

It makes me concerned for the future somewhat... will it go away after the birth? Will I have it again later in life now? Will I have a 9 lb. baby, and how am I going to push that out??? Overall it has made me realize my body has weaknesses; that I will never be perfectly healthy forever- until I get to heaven. This has also helped me see pride in my heart when it comes to health. And it has helped me to understand others... like my mom who has celiac disease and can't eat anything with wheat in it. (Good job mom on your diet!)

So I am working through it. Pray for my blood sugar :)

3 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Les, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. With Olivia I had to go through the long test for it, but it ended up coming back clear.

I believe my mom had it in one of her pregnancies and it went away afterward. She hasn't had any issues with diabetes since.

abbey said...

Les, I will be praying for you! That is a test of faith, but the Lord has you and that little baby in his hands and he is so faithful! The Lord has also been teaching me through certain situations this past week that being in a place of complete dependence on him is such a good place to be! It is so good to recognize our weaknesses and limitations and cry out to him who is sufficient for our every need!

Katherine M. said...

Lesli, I'll be praying for you and the baby. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.